Thursday, February 18, 2016

Jumping Off of Balconies, and Other Tales

No, I'm not the one who jumped off a balcony, so just chill. I'll get to that in a bit.

Obviously, yesterday started off rough for me. It was hard just getting up and going, but I eventually managed it. I got to Mandi's, where I was greeted by a Knightly who told me he wasn't Knightly. He changed his identity about three times over the course of our time together, so I can't remember who he was at the moment. Mandi was in the kitchen making Jambalaya, with the adorable 4.5 month old Caleb (who she babysits for friends a few days a week) strapped to her chest. Caleb gave me the biggest grin when I said hello to him. It was adorable. We chatted for a bit while she cooked, and I told her about my mishap on my way to her house. It was definitely a classic Kit moment.

I had stopped by Sonic for a drink, and about a minute after I got it, I picked it up. Problem is, the lid wasn't on tightly, so it popped off. The issue with this, is that the full Sonic cups are so big, the lid is what helps stabilize them. The rim then collapsed in my hand, and a giant rip, about two inches long appeared, spilling Coke Zero and ice all. over. my. lap. Normally, I would have gotten another one. But given how my day was already going...I just couldn't. I put it down in the cup holder- which was about two inches deep in pop- and tried to brush all the ice off my lap onto the floor. So lovely. Mandi was very sympathetic, and offered for us to go to Sonic and get another. I declined.

We took a walk, and it was really nice. Knightly got some of his energy out, and Caleb stared at me the whole time. We saw a bunny (much more plentiful out here than in the Midwest and South!), and Knightly got excited. We talked about life, and some plans we've made to hang out in a couple weeks, and other such things. I got to feed Caleb his bottle when we got back inside, and it was awesome. It's been a LONG time since I've been able to feed a baby their bottle. As Mandi and I were talking, I said that I had already gotten a reputation at work for being a goody-two-shoes. As if on cue, Caleb started WAILING. Mandi took him, and we laughed. I told Caleb I'm sorry if he likes bad girls, but he should keep looking. :-p

Jim came home from work, then other people arrived for dinner, including Caleb's mom and dad. We happily ate Jambalaya and salad, drank some wine and limeaid, and we briefly talked about girl crushes. I said I had one on Anna Kendrick, and again, as if right on cue, Caleb started wailing. The theory is, the kid has a crush on me...

Just as we were finishing up dinner, there was an unexpected knock on the door. The woman knocking said, "Hi, um, we don't live here, we're visiting our son, and someone just jumped off the balcony, and we need someone to call 911. We don't know the address." We all traipsed across the hallway, and several of the others, one of whom is a nurse, went outside. I saw the girl who jumped- she was laying on her stomach, legs bent upwards at the knees, propped up on her arms, and holding up her head. Mandi and I went back inside, and Jim called 911. The paramedics and police came, and eventually, everyone came back in to finish their dinner. The girl and her boyfriend were giving conflicting stories, but it sounded like the boyfriend was being abusive, and she jumped from the second story balcony, trying to get away from him. He kept telling everyone she was mentally unstable, and there was nothing wrong with her. The paramedics took her to the hospital (though she was physically okay), and the cops were left talking with her boyfriend. That's all that happened, but it was definitely a unique experience.

After finishing dinner and Mandi's AMAZING walnut crust cheesecake, we chatted for quite a while, and the guys played an original Nintendo game on Jim's original Nintendo. Eventually, I headed home to go to bed. I was definitely feeling decidedly better than I had been feeling when I woke up. I went to sleep feeling relatively well, and woke up the same way. I have something to look forward to tonight (which will no doubt get a new blog post tomorrow), as well as over the next few days.

Sometimes, life sucks. Sometimes, it's almost unbearable. But thank goodness, I'm in a place where those really dark times usually only last a few hours, to maybe a day, at most. As long as I'm trending upwards, that's really all I can ask for. And it's good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment