Monday, February 29, 2016

Day At the Museum

Saturday, Mandi and I met at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, where they have an exhibit on the history of chocolate. We'd been planning to go all month, and as Jim and Knightly were spending the day together, that gave Mandi and me several hours. We walked through the exhibit, reading the different signs, and I found I was able to use my knowledge from a class I took in grad school, Latin American Colonial History, to help flesh things out for Mandi. I talked about the differences between the Aztecs (I have to note here that their real name is Mexica, but we call them Aztec), Maya, and Inca. Their religious beliefs, practices, and even a little, on their use of chocolate, and then the development of slavery with the "discovery" of North and South America. I also got to talk a bit about the use of slaves in growing sugar, and other such things. I don't get to talk about history like this nearly as much as I used to, so I had a TON of fun with it, and Mandi didn't seem bored, so I call that a win.
This is such a typical Mandi pose, I can't even get over it. Lol. Some things never change.

We walked out of the exhibit, and there was a little shop set up selling gourmet chocolates. Mandi bought us each two pieces, and they were divine. I also bought a mug that had a picture of a moose on it that said, "Chocolate Moose." I had to. See, when Mandi and I first met, waaay back in the summer of 1999, at Sound Foundations IX, when I was 16 and she was 14, I was going through a phase in which I called everyone, "dear." It annoyed Mandi, and, snarky as she has always been, she started calling me "Moose," and it stuck, for quite some time. Years. Because I was with Mandi at the exhibit and the mug was right there, I had to get it. Of course, I also bought a scholarly book on the history of chocolate. Because...what else would I do?


From there, we went on to the Egyptian exhibit, and then the space exhibit. We had a great time wandering about and talking, just us, for the first time in a very, very long time. We had lunch at Chipotle, and continued talking. About ATI, about how we have changed with time, about how relationships with human beings can be a challenge. I think for the first time since reuniting, I kind of felt like I had gotten my old best friend back. It was both so much like old times, and nothing like old times. Instead of being teenagers, or very early 20 somethings, we were both 30 somethings, living far away from our roots, making our own ways, having dealt with a lot more of life's hard knocks, and having settled into life. I think we're both much more centered than we were, way back when. We both still have things to deal with. But we're learning how to do that in a healthy, balanced way. Not like when we were younger.

The day was awesome. And I really look forward to seeing how our relationship progresses, now that we're solidly adults. I think moving to Denver is the best decision I have ever made. One of the best things about moving to Denver, has been being able to reconnect with Mandi. I really can't wait to see how life continues to unfold in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment