Thursday, January 28, 2016

On the Run

I'm not sure whether the fact that t-shirts keep speaking to me lately is a good thing or not. Have I regressed to adolescence? Perhaps I've simply become very shallow. Or maybe I need psychiatric help (I mean...more than already). Is it possible that there are just a lot of t-shirts out there right now with really great messages on them? I hope that's the case. If not, I could be in trouble. Hmm...more to ponder.

Overly detailed INTJ analysis aside, there was a second shirt I bought at Maurice's on Tuesday, while shopping with Rowena. This one said, "Girl on the Run." Immediately, I loved it. Of course, it immediately conjured thoughts of Katniss Everdeen and her "girl on fire" persona. She was a girl on fire. Though not a natural revolutionary, she led an entire nation to overthrow a corrupt, bloodthirsty, totalitarian government. And that's how she became known. She was Katniss Everdeen, the Mockingjay, the Girl on Fire.

As I looked at the shirt, I thought, "This is how I want to be known. Kit Reynolds, the Girl on the Run." But let me be clear. I don't want to be known as someone constantly running from something, though of course, I do run from my toxic past and do my best never to look back. Rather, I want to be known as being constantly on the run towards something. Running towards my dreams and goals. Running towards health. Running towards...life. I don't want to be the girl who held back. Who sauntered her way down the road of life. I don't want to be the one who kept going slowly, for fear of tripping or running into things (and if you know anything about me at all, you know that's a legit concern!). I want to be the one who ran the race. Who seized the day.

I think about baseball legend Pete Rose. My dad grew up with him. They played against each other in Little League, they played neighborhood pickup games together, in baseball, basketball, and football. All controversies aside, no one can deny his enthusiasm. My dad talks about how even as kids, Pete gave his all when playing baseball. All of the Little League teams in the area were always referred to by their names, except for Pete's. Even when they were kids, his team was known as "Pete Rose's team." Dad says that Pete's not the most inherently talented baseball player he ever met. But Pete's enthusiasm and determination made up for what talent he lacked. Most baseball fans know that Pete's nickname is "Charlie Hustle." Why? Because the man never ever walked. Even when the pitcher walked him, he ran. As a lifelong baseball enthusiast in my 30s, I have never once seen a baseball player do this. What's the point? Why run to first when you're guaranteed it anyway? But Pete did. And that's how I want to be.

I want to be the girl who ran to first base. The one who kept running. The one who lived fully. The one who was always going somewhere.

So while I'm working on being someone's shot of whiskey, by being entirely myself, I will also be something else: a Girl on the Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment