Sunday, January 10, 2016

A Dauntless Week

This last week has been crazy. Busy. Exhausting. Which is exactly why I haven't posted in so long. I've been too tired. In every way. Don't get me wrong. It's been a good week. But again, a tiring one.

I started training for my new job, which has been both challenging and interesting. I'm not going to talk a lot about my job on this blog, for many reasons, but I will say that by Tuesday, I was ready to quit. It was so completely different from anything I was used to, and I was tired and in a lot of physical pain. I came home that night and sat on my couch crying, because I was so overwhelmed and lonely. But Wednesday, I finally got to sit down and talk to my boss, and got a better look at some things about what my job will look like after the training period. The talk was good. I realized that my knowledge, ideas, and thoughts would very much be valued. Maybe this won't be where I stay forever, and my boss is okay with that. But it's definitely a good start, a good experience, and a good way for me to see what I can do. I got Friday off, which was a welcome reprieve, and I may or may not have slept most of the day!

I'm not going to lie. Getting up and going to work every day has been a huge exercise in bravery. I'm not used to this kind of daily 8-4 (or 7-3!) kind of thing. My body definitely isn't used to it. Additionally, it's totally outside of my academic comfort zone. Meeting so many new people, learning a new trade, being more physically active than I'm used to (which will calm down after training is over), has definitely taken a lot out of me. But I'm determined to see it through, and to do well with it. Regardless of how hard. My whole goal in moving out here and getting a new job in a new field was partly to challenge myself. To get outside of my comfort zone and see what I am capable of. To fly with my own wings.  To make my own way. And that's exactly what I'm doing.

I have also managed to make a new friend, by again, pushing myself outside my comfort zone. It's been challenging to do so, as I don't meet new people easily. But I've been forcing myself to stretch, and it has been good.

Hopefully this next week will be a bit calmer, and I'll be able to post more. But for now, this will have to do, as I am getting sleepy and need to go to work again in the morning. Hopefully, I will soon adjust, and have more energy. But for now, I'm making my way, in a manner I have never done before. As exhausting and difficult as it is, it also feels very, very...good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment