Sunday, August 6, 2017

A Dauntless in Denver Wedding Week: Part 6

Saturday, I woke up earlier than expected, not because I was awake- I was not- but because I was ravenous. We headed to Our Daily Bread for breakfast, and since we walk everywhere in this town, I kept whining at Andy to slow down because I wasn't awake enough, and therefore coordinated enough, to walk that fast.

Breakfast was delicious, and they even had gluten free bread for toast or eggs benedict, or french toast. I had an egg white omlette with toast and fruit, and I really wanted to buy this really awesome painting of a snake, but Andy wouldn't let me. Dumb.

Believe it or not, after breakfast, all I wanted to do was go back to sleep, and that's what I did. Pretty much all morning. Both of us were really tired, so Andy just kinda hung out next to me on his phone for a few hours. Seriously, guys. I can't say it enough. Weddings are exhausting. 

Early in the afternoon, we wound up just wandering around town, in and out of shops. The biggest part of the afternoon happened at Hole in the Wall Tattoos. Really cool place, my artist was Kat. Not only did I get my first tattoo, I got my first TWO tattoos!


The first one was done behind my ear. OMG, it hurt. She started out with me in the chair, but decided the angle was too cumbersome, and had me switch to the table.
Can you tell what it is? I had been wanting to get the Dauntless symbol behind my ear for a while, and I finally got it!
I'm kinda in love with it. And yes, it's red and angry. It still hurts quite a bit. And it was about an 8/10 pain, so yeah, it hurt. But I'm no stranger to pain, so to have pain for something I chose for once, not so bad. 
The next one was on my wrist, and that was an actual 10/10 pain. Good thing I can control myself through excruciating pain. It felt like I was getting cut with no anesthetic, which I have experienced before. But thankfully, it took maybe 10 minutes to do. I almost cried like a baby when I thought she was done, and then she changed her mind and decided she needed to go over a letter again, but I dealt. 
In the end, I got a phrase I have been wanting to get on my wrist since a few days after my breakup 2 years ago, and it looks awesome!
"i can handle this" Which was very apt given how painful it was. 

After the tattoos, we went to dinner at the Riviera, which was delicious! I had zucchini and carrot noodles with a pesto butter sauce and grilled chicken, with a hard lavender lemonade. It was amazing. 

We had about 45 minutes after dinner before our escape room appointment with the Glenwood Adventure Company. As we wandered, we stumbled across this little boutique, Bellini's Fashion. We talked with the owner, who was super awesome, and gave us a 10% discount when she found out we were on our honeymoon. You guys should check out her website! She has an online business as well, and ships for free. I love supporting small businesses! We got a picture frame that says, "I Love Us," which we'll put a wedding picture in, and I got this pretty awesome bag: 
It was only $63 to begin with, and the straps are real leather. You can smell it immediately. Most bags like this are at least $100, if not more. When I saw how inexpensive it was, I had to have it. The thing is huge, and I can really pack it when I travel. 
It's made from recycled canvas, and put together really well. I'm sure it will hold up to some solid beatings as I travel. 
The brand is Mona B, and the motto is "fearlessly authentic." Talk about perfect for me! The tag isn't very legible, but it say,
"Fashion that's earth friendly. Waste not, is the concept behind Mona B. Why make new materials when there are interesting and perfectly usable fabrics that can be re-cycled or up-cycled. We go by the mantra that one person's trash is another person's treasure.

"Each bag tells a story about the individual journey the material has made traveling from place to place. They are mostly made of recycled tarps or tents that have been previously used and would otherwise be thrown away. They have been washed to bring new life which may result in slight color discrepancies. The texture and material variations that are distinctive in recycled and hand crafted products make each bag unique. The story of these materials continues on and the next chapter is now for you to decide."

Not only do I love how eco friendly that is, but it seems rather Dauntless to me, too. A lot of these materials come from old army gear. Many have already stood up to a lot of use and abuse. Now they get to live on to see new places, serve new purposes. This bag will likely travel the world with me, and that's pretty awesome. 

Finally, we went to the escape room, where we tried our hand at their Egypt Tomb Escape. It was just Andy and me, and if we had about 5 more minutes, we would have totally gotten it. We really impressed the staff, who said that two people very rarely get that far, and never actually escape, so we're pretty happy. We had to solve puzzles and unlock about a thousand locks to get out. What disturbed me the most was how many Egyptian cities along the Nile I could identify without labels. Thanks, history degrees? 

We went back to the hotel and got to bed, since we were starting the next day with quite the adventure! Details to follow. 😉

1 comment: