Tuesday, August 1, 2017

A Dauntless in Denver Wedding Week, Part 1

Wedding week has arrived! I thought it would never come, but here it is. Things are crazy busy, and they are just going to keep getting crazy busier. Holy crap. [Insert freak out here].

Wedding Week was supposed to kick off on Sunday, with my parents flying in from Cincinnati. Monday was my birthday, so they came to spend it with me. Their flight was supposed to come in at 8:30 Sunday evening. Plenty of time to pick them up, take them to their hotel, and let them settle and sleep before the next day. However (there's always a "however," isn't there...), due to severe storms in Palm Springs, where their plane was coming from, the flight got delayed. By nearly six hours.

Thrilling. Because an all-nighter is just what two solid septuagenarians need. Especially one with a bad back and recently broken hip. And staying up nearly all night for me is just what I needed to kick off my week. I am hoping to high heaven that this is the only big hiccup of the week.

I got home from dropping of my parents at their hotel, and managed to get to bed about 4am. That big, leisurely birthday I had planned? Yeah, that didn't happen.

I finally dragged myself out of bed about 11, and took my car to Jiffy Lube for an emergency oil change (thank you, Lyft!), and then came home to take a nap because...I was still half dead.

My parents came over via Lyft about 3, and after the grand house tour, we went to Runner's Roost in Lone Tree for my birthday present, new running shoes. This place is awesome, and I would recommend it to anyone in the Denver area. They put you on a treadmill to evaluate your gait with an iPad, then match you to the correct shoe. Not too long later, I was out the door with new shoes, and tape for my shin splints.
After that, we went to Park Meadows Mall, to get Mom clothes for the wedding, a tie for Andy, and makeup for me. We started at Sephora, where I got an entire list of items- you know, actual quality makeup that won't wear off my face in 2 hours- and underestimated the total by a couple hundred dollars. Still suffering from sticker shock there. Thank you, Mom and Dad for counting it as a wedding cost! It'll be way cheaper to replace item by item than buy it all at once. Yeesh. Pretty excited though. Now I have the tools I need to create more of the Dauntless makeup look I have been wanting for a while!
After that, we got Mom some clothes and Andy a tie at JC Penney, then went to meet Andy downstairs at The Cheesecake Factory for my birthday dinner. While waiting, I had a totally chance encounter with one of my soul sisters, Star, who just happened to be there too. It's been way too long since I've seen her, and the last two times we had scheduled for her to come over, she got sick!

I had a dinner of guacamole, amazing gluten free pasta, and gluten free cheesecake, and then went home  to bed. It wasn't hard to get to sleep.

Despite a rough start, it was a good 34th birthday. I kept musing, as I saw many birthday wishes come in, and people talking about my birthday and wedding in the same week, how infinitely better this birthday was over my birthday just two years ago. That one, I was in hell. I spent the day in the car with my parents, driving back from my Autism eval in North Carolina, and wanting to die from the pain of losing the person I had thought I was going to spend my life with. I had so many friends that day say, "I feel like 'happy birthday' is inappropriate, but I wanted to at least acknowledge that it is your birthday."

It's amazing the difference two short years can make. I can't wait to see what this year holds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment